Uliana Gabara has been the head of the University's Office of International Education since its creation in 1987. Uliana has led the charge in developing institutional strategies for internationalization both at the university level and through her involvement and leadership in consortia and networks of higher education institutions. Click here to see Dr. Gabara's bio and curriculum vitae.
Director and Associate Provost of International Education, University of Richmond
Lecturer, Department of Modern Foreign Languages, University of Richmond
Lecturer, Department of English, University of Virginia
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures, University of Virginia
Cultural Editor, weekly magazine FORUM, Warsaw, Poland
Lecturer, School for Translators, University of Warsaw, Poland
Teacher, American School, Warsaw, Poland
Ph.D., University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, Slavic Languages and Literatures
M.A., University of Warsaw, Poland, English Philology
B.A., Bennington College, Bennington, Vermont, English and American Literature
Russian, Polish, English - native/near-native
French, German - fair
Other Slavic languages and Yiddish - passive knowledge
Introduction to International Studies: Cultural Diversity and Interdependence
Russia: Physical and Fictional - An Interdisciplinary Seminar for High School Teachers
Russian Literature in Western Perspective: A Seminar for High School Teachers
Literature and Revolution: A Comparative Approach
Studies in Fiction: The Picaresque Novel Since Lazarillo de Tormes
Surveys of XIXth and XXth-century Russian Literature
Theory and Practice of Criticism: A Graduate Seminar
First, second, third and fourth year of Russian and Polish
University Service and Committee Membership
- Academic Affairs Council
- International Education Committee (Chair, ex officio)
- Curriculum Review Committee
- Dean of Westhampton Search Committee
- Dean of Arts and Sciences Search Committee
- Retention Task Force
- Undeclared student advisor
- Global House President's College Associate
Academic Honors and Grants
- Fulbright Seminar in Brazil
- Baden-Württemberg Seminar
- DAAD Seminar Bonn, Berlin; Brussels
- Dupont Fellow at summer faculty seminar, National Humanities Center
- Honorary Mention, IIE Heiskell Award for Faculty Seminar Abroad
- Suhor Foundation grant for University of Richmond faculty seminar
- AT&T Foundation grant for writers-in-residence at University of Richmond
- Recipient of two grants from Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy
- Recipient of three grants from the Center for Russian and East European Studies
- Global Partners travel grant for Ukraine
- Governor's Grant for graduate studies at University of Virginia
- Kosciuszko Foundation Grant
- University of Virginia and Bennington College Fellowships
- Ford Foundation Grant for study at Bennington College
Membership and Offices in Professional Organizations and International Organizations
- Association of International Education Administrators, vice president/president elect, member of Executive Board and Membership Committee
- World Affairs Council of Greater Richmond, Board Member and Chair of Program Committee
- International Studies Association, chair of International Education Section
- Member, National Advisory Council, Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University
- Chair, Secretary/Treasurer National Committee of International Studies and Program Administrators (NCISPA)
- National Association for Foreign Student Affairs (NAFSA), state representative and regional board member
- European Association for International Education
- Virginia Council on International Education, President and Executive Board member
- World Affairs Council of Greater Richmond, board member
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "The University of Richmond in the Global World"
- "A Comprehensive and Integrated Approach to Internationalization; the Richmond Model"
- "Faculty Seminar Abroad," International Education Forum, fall, 1994, p.157-158
- "Institutional Strategies for Internationalization, Case Study of the University of Richmond," conference papers for Programme on Institutional Management in Higher Education, OECD and Centre for Educational Research and Innovation, October, 1994.
- Long-Term Impacts of Federal Funding on International Studies and Foreign Language Programs: A Research Report, member of the research team
- Akhmatova, Anna. My Half Century. Ronald Meyer, ed. Ardis, 1992, translations, passim.
- Review of Constantin V. Ponomareff. On the Dark Side of Russian Literature, 1709-1910. In Canadian-American Slavic Studies, Vol.27, Nos.1-4 (1993), pp.415-416.
- Review of The Prince, the Fool, and the Nunnery: The Religious Theme in the Early Poetry of Anna Akhmatova, by Wendy Rosslyn. Slavic Review (winter: 1988): 773-775
- "Study Abroad for Faculty and Students," International Studies Association annual conference. "Pros and Cons - Centralized Coordination and Administration of International Education Programs," presentation at NAFSA: Association of International Educators annual conference.
- "Advocating International Programs to Campus Decision Makers," NAFSA annual conference.
- "Consortia and Networks of Higher Education Institutions as Structural Models for Exchanges," Council on International Educational Exchange annual conference.
- "Study Abroad in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe"
- "Senior International Educators: Reflections on the Past and Creating the Future for International Education,"
- "Ethics and Values in Society Today, Moving Toward the 21st Century."
- "Cost-effective Techniques for Internationalizing College Campuses."
- "Russia: Physical and Fictional," Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy Invited Training Presentation
Consultancies and External Evaluations of International Education programs and Title VI projects; selected
University of North Carolina-Asheville
St. John's University
Wake Forest University
North Central College
Belmont Abbey College
The New Jersey College