Become a Community Volunteer
The Office of International Education (OIE) at the University of Richmond is seeking Community Volunteers to assist our visiting international scholars with cultural transition to the University and the Richmond area.
Each year, OIE brings one to two visitors to campus for one semester to conduct teaching, research, and other scholarly activities. We are seeking fun, caring individuals with the following characteristics:
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations
- Availability for three to five hours per week at the beginning of the semester in August or January and throughout the semester as needed
- Possesses own transportation to take the visitor to various offices, shops, etc.
- Familiarity with the University of Richmond campus
- Familiarity with Richmond area cultural and historical attractions, shopping centers, and government offices such as Social Security, DMV, etc.
- Familiarity with GRTC public transportation and driving routes to major Richmond attractions to and from the UR campus
- Knowledge of government services such as obtaining a driver's license, social security card, etc
- Knowledge of practical matters such as finding apartments and sublets, signing rental agreements, establishing and paying for utilities, phone, cable, and internet service
- Knowledge of purchasing or renting cars
- Knowledge of Richmond public school districts
In exchange for helping our visiting international scholars with cultural and practical matters, you will have the opportunity to interact with some of the most outstanding professors, artists, and researchers in the international field. If you are interested in this wonderful cross-cultural opportunity, please contact Krittika Onsanit, Director of International Student, Scholar, and Internship Services.