Working with International Students
These resources reflect best practices for teaching and responding to non-native English speakers and include integrating international students into the course curriculum, grading, and working with students on papers (understanding differences in how they were taught to write, etc.).
- Looking another culture in the eye: The New York Times
- Educating international students about plagiarism: Penn State, Division of Undergraduate Studies
- Plagiarism: Ted-Ed YouTube video worth sharing with your students. (3 min)
- Finding common ground: Enhancing interaction between domestic and international students. A guide for academics. Arkoudis, S. et al. (2010). Support for the original work was provided by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council Ltd, an initiative of the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment, and Workplace Relations.
- Chinese students in the classroom, Redden, E. (2014) Five common challenges Chinese students often encounter at U.S. colleges and universities. Inside Higher Ed.
- Teaching international students. Redden, E. (2014) Five common challenges Chinese students often encounter at U.S. colleges and universities. Inside Higher Ed.
Articles and Research
- The most surprising things about America, according to an Indian international student, Business Insider, 2014.
- A freshman year, far from home. One thousand Chinese students arrived at Michigan State in fall 2012. Here are the stories of three of them. Chronicle of Higher Education
- Finding common ground: Enhancing interaction between domestic and international students Exploring benefits of and obstacles to interactions among students from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds. Study produced by University of Melbourne and RMIT in Australia.
- The Colors they Saw.
- Journal of International Students, Peer-reviewed publication on international students. Spring 2014, volume 4(1) and volume 4(2)
- Positive aspects of international student transitions: A qualitative inquiry. Moores, L., Popadiuk, N. (2011). Journal of College Student Development
- Lessons from an international students' journey: Rajika Bhandari, deputy vice president at the Institute of International Education, shares firsthand perspective on studying in the United States as an international student, Chronicle of Higher Education