Gym Membership Reimbursements
Students studying abroad can be reimbursed up to $200 per semester for a gym membership and/or some other athletic activities abroad.
No pre-approval is required to request a reimbursement for those listed in the “Reimbursable gym/athletic activities” section below. Please refer to the Reimbursement Instructions for procedures on how to submit for reimbursement. Be sure to submit your Reimbursement Request form and receipt(s) within 60 days.
When gym memberships are charged weekly/monthly: You can submit multiple weekly/monthly gym receipts with a single Reimbursement Request Form as long as your accumulated receipts are fewer than 60 days old when you submit them. Be mindful of the 60-day window so that you do not accidentally wait too long and submit an expired receipt.
- Gym facilities offered by the host institution
- Gym facilities at alternate locations
- For example, if your host institution does not have a gym, or if you prefer to join a gym that is closer to your housing
- Athletics classes/lessons offered by the host institution or through a private organization
- Examples of acceptable classes/lessons: ballet, tango, golf, yoga, etc
- Not all classes/lessons are reimbursable! Check the "Ineligible for reimbursement" section below.
- Membership fee to join an intramural or club sport team at your host institution
- Tickets to attend sporting events
- Bungee jumping
- Mountain climbing (where ropes or guides are normally used)
- Renting and/or driving of motorized vehicles
- Rock climbing
- Paragliding or parasailing
- Scuba diving
- Skiing (on land or water)
This is not an all-inclusive list. If an activity does not appear on the above list, then reimbursement for that activity is at the discretion of International Education.