Reimbursements for Certain Expenses
There are certain study abroad-related expenses for which the Office of International Education (OIE) will reimburse students going on semester or yearlong UR study abroad programs.
Students participating in summer study abroad programs, non-UR study abroad programs, and MBA students are not eligible for reimbursements.
The Commitment Form and Withdrawal Policy must be signed electronically on the online application in order to be eligible for reimbursement for pre-departure expenses such as passport application fees.
Students who meet the eligibility criteria above may submit receipts that are fewer than 60 days old for reimbursement AFTER they have read and electronically signed the "Acceptance of Richmond’s Study Abroad Offer" document on their GatewayAbroad applications.
Types of Expenses
All eligible students can be reimbursed for:
- Passport application and renewal fees: Maximum $135 USD
- Student visa application fees: Application fee only, if and when applicable
- Residence permit application fees: Application fee only, if and when applicable
- Gym membership fees: Up to $200 USD/semester
- Cultural excursions abroad: Up to $500 USD/semester; see website for full details
Some expenses are not reimbursable by the OIE, including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Expenses with receipts older than 60 days, in accordance with IRS regulations
- Any shipping, postage, mailing, courier and/or express mail fees
- Expedited passport and/or visa application processing fees
- Photos for passports, visas, residence permits, etc.
- Vaccinations, medication, and/or medical exams required for visa applications
- Travel expenses related to obtaining a visa
- Translation service fees
- FBI and/or police background check fees
- Any fees your bank or credit card company might charge for foreign currency transactions
- Airfare or other travel expenses to/from/within your study abroad destination, aside from the travel allowance received by all students
- Expenses paid by/for visiting relatives or friends
- Fees to purchase, renew, or replace International Student Identity Cards (ISIC)
- Equipment required for athletics courses and/or field trips
- Excluded expenses related to cultural/academic excursions
- Expenses incurred after the host institution's official program end date
- Cultural excursions for certain programs; refer to this page for details
The above is not an all-inclusive list. Do not assume that if an expense is not on this list that it is eligible for reimbursement. Please review the “Eligible Expenses” list above for more information.