Richmond Home

J-1 Visa

A J-1 student is a non-U.S. citizen who is enrolled full-time in a non-degree prescribed course of study at an accredited educational institution, such as the University of Richmond. Learn more about J-1 visitor status from the J-1 visa exchange visitor program website.


Students must obtain employment authorization before accepting employment on or off campus. Learn more about employment procedures.

Academic Training

Students are permitted to participate in academic training programs while enrolled in the University and after completing their studies. The acceptable completion of studies date is the official exchange program end date, as indicated on the DS-2019 form. 

Extension of Stay

Students may be able to extend their stays in the United States while still enrolled and after graduating from the University.

Questions about visas and immigration?

Contact Krittika Onsanit, director of international student services, to discuss issues related to immigration, or learn more about visas from the U.S. Department of State.