Richmond Home

Travel and Re-entry to the United States

Before traveling outside of the United States, make sure that you have all required documents for re-entry into the United States if you are an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor.

Temporary 30-day Admission to the United States

If you are preparing to travel to the United States from abroad but have lost your I-20/DS2019, you will still be able to enter the United States temporarily for 30 days.

You will receive Form I-515A Notice to Student and Exchange Visitor at the U.S. port of entry. This form contains instructions for what you need to do to extend your stay beyond 30 days. You will need to send the required documentation (new I-20/DS-2019 from the International Student Advisor, original I-94 arrival/departure card, Form I-515A) to the Department of Homeland Security within the 30-day submission deadline in order to maintain status.

Within four to six weeks, you will receive your new I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 arrival/departure card marked D/S, or duration of status. This notation extends your stay to its original length. You will not be able to travel outside the United States until you receive your documents marked D/S, so please plan accordingly.

If you do not send the documentation by the submission deadline, your visa status will be terminated and you will need to depart the United States immediately or file immediately for reinstatement with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Traveling to Canada and Mexico

F-1 and J-1 students who wish to travel to Canada or Mexico may require a Canadian or Mexican tourist visa. You should check with the Canadian embassy or Mexican embassy to find out whether your home country is exempt from a tourist visa requirement.

F-1 and J-1 students with an expired student visa may re-enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands (excluding Cuba) without renewing their visa as long as their stay is no longer than 30 days and they are returning to the U.S. to resume their program. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of State's automatic revalidation website.

Be prepared to talk about you educational goals in the United States, your intent to return to your home country, and your plans once you return home. Remember to maintain a respectful attitude and avoid making jokes.

If you need to apply for a new visa to re-enter the United States, you may be taking a risk as some consulates may have delays in issuing visas. Before traveling, please check with the consulate in your home country about their procedures and timetable for issuing new visas.

Upon your return, bring any new immigration documents to Krittika Onsanit in the Office of International Education for copying and submission to your file.

Hand-carry the following documents (do NOT pack in your checked luggage):

Valid passport with valid F or J visa (if applicable)

Signed Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Status" or DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status"

Proof of financial support

Travelers should also consider bringing the following:

Evidence of acceptance to the University (e.g. acceptance letter, scholarship/financial aid letter, course schedule, recent receipt for tuition/fees payment)

Proof of paying the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee

If you are on OPT, a letter from your employer stating that you have the job, the job description, and the dates of employment (which will need to match your EAD). If you are near the end of your OPT, it is not likely that you will be allowed to re-enter the United States for this purpose.