Richmond Home

Study Abroad: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Updated May 17, 2022

What is the status of study abroad programs during the COVID era?

As global mobility continues to normalize, UR remains committed to working with our students to become global citizens, despite the challenges of the pandemic. Study Abroad has successfully resumed in record numbers!

Our staff continue to track conditions and travel-related policies in the countries to which we send students. Our sources include the US Department of State, the Centers for Disease Control, host country resources, our colleagues abroad and many others. We will communicate directly with students as we become aware of necessary changes or cancelations.

Is a COVID vaccination required to study abroad?

UR's international travel policies align with the current campus COVID vaccine requirement. UR recommends that international travelers be fully vaccinated, and carefully consider each country’s entry requirements.

Please consult the US Department of State Travel Advisories, the CDC Travel Recommendations, and the IATA Travel Centre for COVID-related entry guidelines.

Unvaccinated students who may have an approved exemption from UR's vaccination requirement may not be able to attend certain study abroad programs or enter some countries. Unvaccinated travelers may also be subject to quarantine, frequent testing, special housing, and additional costs.

If a program is canceled, will semester abroad students need to take a leave of absence?

If a cancelation occurs prior to the start of the UR semester, students will be eligible to enroll in classes at Richmond on a space-available basis.

If a cancelation occurs during the first week of the UR semester (and possibly during the second week, depending on the courses a student hopes to take), it may be possible to enroll in Richmond classes, with appropriate approval.

If a cancelation occurs after the second week of the UR semester, semester abroad students will need to take a leave of absence.

In event of a program cancellation, International Education staff will work with the student, the host university/program abroad, the Registrar, the Office of Student Accounts, and the Financial Aid, as applicable, to minimize financial and credit loss to the student.

Note that on-campus housing may be unavailable to students in this situation.

How does UR's health and travel insurance work with COVID?

The policy covers study abroad participants worldwide, except in their home country. It covers illnesses and medical treatment related to COVID-19 as it does for any other unforeseen sickness, but it does not cover COVID-19 vaccination. Further policy details may be found here. If you have questions about insurance coverage, please contact Ms. Keesha Trim, Senior Director of Risk Management and Insurance.