Travel to Cuba

2015 brought much change to U.S. policy on Cuba. For the latest news, please contact Patrick Schweiger, Study Abroad Manager.

Until recently, U.S. citizens who wanted to travel to Cuba without violating U.S. laws were required to obtain, on a case-by-case basis, a special license from the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

This system has been relaxed considerably. OFAC has now created twelve classes of “general licenses” which authorize U.S. citizens to legally travel to Cuba as long as they do so for the reasons specified in one of the licenses, and as long as their actions meet all of the criteria specified in the applicable license. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions link on this page for details.

One of the OFAC general licenses is for “educational activities”, and another is for “public performances” and “athletic competitions”. These general licenses open the door for U.S. universities to do the same kinds of activities in Cuba that they have been doing in other countries.

Bringing a Cuban scholar to the University of Richmond

Academic departments who wish to bring a Cuban scholar to campus are advised to contact Krittika Onsanit in the Office of International Education at least three months prior to the scholar's scheduled visit.

To Take a Group of Students to Cuba

If you are interested in taking a group of students to Cuba, please see the Office of International Education's page regarding taking students abroad.