Title: Visiting Appointments

Visiting Appointments
Profile - Inner Elements:



Scholars who will be teaching, performing, conducting research, or doing other academic activities on visiting appointments may be eligible to apply for a J-1 visa for exchange visitors. The J-1 exchange visitor categories most commonly used for professors and researchers require an appointment of at least 3 weeks and no longer than 5 years except for the short-term scholar category, which is not subject to the 3 week minimum but has a maximum stay of 6 months.

  1. UR hiring department should submit documentation from Departmental Checklist for Hiring Visiting International Scholars
  2. Dependents (spouse and children) can apply for J-2 visas (or apply for a tourist visa for a short visit).
  3. Apply for a Social Security card upon arrival.

Inner Options:


Profile - Additional Options: