Richmond Home

F-1 Visa

An F-1 student is a non-U.S. citizen who is pursuing a full-time course of study to achieve a specific educational or professional objective at a U.S. academic institution that has been designated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to offer courses of study to international students.


In order to work in the United States, all non-immigrant visa holders must receive the proper authorization before beginning any employment.

Summer School Students

International students applying for a summer program at the University should submit a completed I-20 authorization form and a Certification of Finances form to Krittika Onsanit.

F-1 Transfer Students (already enrolled in a U.S. college or university)

Incoming first-year undergraduate students and transfer undergraduate students should email for instructions on receiving their I-20s. The instructions on this page are only for incoming UR Law, MBA, or SPCS F-1 students who are transferring their F-1 status to Richmond from another US college or university.

In addition to the I-20 authorization form and proof of finances, F-1 international transfer students already studying in the United States who need to transfer their I-20 from their current U.S. institution to the University must complete the F-1/J-1 Transfer Request form. This can only be done for students whose start date at the University is within five months of their end date at their current U.S. institution.

Questions about visas and immigration?

Contact Krittika Onsanit, director of international student services, to discuss issues related to immigration, or learn more about visas from the U.S. Department of State.