Richmond Home


It is not unusual for students to wish to extend their study abroad to a full year either in the same or to a different study abroad site. If you would like to stay for the year, follow these steps.

Consult your UR academic/major advisor to discuss your course plans for next semester and ensure that you can still graduate as scheduled. Forward the reply from your major advisor to your UR study abroad advisor. Business school students should contact Dr. Tom Cosse.

Consult your parents to discuss your plans to extend for one year. Your host institution may charge you additional fees for extending your term abroad. Additionally, you are responsible for any related institutional costs that are non-recoverable by the University of Richmond should you later change your mind about extending.

Email your Richmond study abroad advisor about your interest in extending and why you wish to do so. Your UR study abroad advisor will discuss your request with the UR partner abroad.

Sometimes it’s not possible to extend your studies, but IE staff can suggest possible alternatives that might work for your academic and personal interests. Although no guarantees can be made, we will do our best to place you in an appropriate study abroad program.

After you have been approved to extend your studies:

  • Consult the international office at your institution abroad and/or relevant consulate regarding procedures for extending your student visa status, if applicable.
  • You may be required to return to the U.S. to obtain the appropriate visa.
  • Ask your host institution if there are any other protocols/forms (registration, housing, etc.) you must complete once approval is given to extend for the year.

Confirm your decision with IE:

  • Email your completed Study Abroad Extension Form to your UR study abroad advisor confirming that you have complied with the above steps and that you intend to stay abroad for the year.
  • Upon receiving this confirmation, IE staff will:
    • notify all relevant offices/departments at Richmond of your plans to extend;
    • extend your health insurance to cover you during the gap between semesters and for the additional semester; and
    • assist you in processing forms for the institution abroad (only applicable to students changing study abroad locations).

Course approval

It is recommended that yearlong students not wait until they return to get post-approval for their courses. Faculty have the option of declining to approve courses until you return to campus after your semester abroad ends. Electronic approvals should be forwarded to your study abroad advisor; approvals will be kept in your file.

Visa extensions/renewals

Students extending to study abroad for the year may require an extension/renewal to their visa and/or host country immigration registration, or may require a new visa/residence permit for a second country (if switching sites), which may require returning to the United States.

Withdrawal policy

If you withdraw after confirming your extension to study abroad, you will be subject to the withdrawal policies and procedures.

Housing and registration

Once you have confirmed your extension to study abroad, you will be withdrawn from the housing pool for the following semester and will be placed in the housing lottery for the semester upon your return to Richmond.

You also will be withdrawn from the pre-registration rotation if you extend prior to this period. If you extend your studies abroad and have already been pre-registered for classes for the subsequent semester you will be dropped from these classes. You will then be put back in the rotation for pre-registration for the semester prior to returning to Richmond.

Travel and living allowances

You will receive another travel allowance and a living allowance (if applicable for your study abroad location) for your second semester abroad.

Scholarships and financial aid

You are still eligible to apply for study abroad scholarships as long as you meet stated deadlines.

Financial aid for study abroad is only available for two academic semesters.