Richmond Home

Insurance While Abroad

The Office of Risk Management administers a Foreign Travel Insurance Program that provides insurance coverage and travel assistance for employees engaged in official university foreign travel (excluding sabbaticals). Coverage includes, but is not limited to, general liability insurance, foreign voluntary workers’ compensation, excess auto liability insurance, medical services, emergency medical assistance, security evacuation and repatriation services.

For the International Travel Registry, please click here.

For sabbaticals and leaves of absence, please contact Office of Risk Management and/or Human Resources.

How does the Richmond health insurance plan work while I am abroad?

Please contact Human Resources or your insurance carrier for details about how your Richmond health insurance plan might work while you are outside of the United States.

What coverage does the university provide for business travel outside of the U.S.?

UR employees are provided individual short-term international health and travel insurance coverage. Any questions should be directed to Keesha Trim, Director of Risk Management.

For sabbaticals and leaves of absence, please contact Office of Risk Management and/or Human Resources.

More details on the insurance coverage as well as the copy of the up-to-date Chubb Insurance policy can be found in the Health and Safety section of the UR study abroad website.

What about my dependents?

If your dependents will be traveling with you on university business, they will be covered as long as you follow the instructions provided on the International Travel Registry.

"Dependent" means a Covered Person's lawful spouse or Domestic Partner; or unmarried child from the moment of birth to age 19, or 26 if a full-time student; and who are chiefly dependent on the Covered Person for financial support. A child, for eligibility purposes, includes a natural child, adopted child, step child or foster child. See policy for details on coverage regarding newborn care. A fiancé(e) is not a dependent of a Covered Person and is not eligible for this insurance coverage.

For sabbaticals and leaves of absence, please contact Office of Risk Management and/or Human Resources.

What about leisure travel?

Leisure travel is not eligible for coverage under the university's Foreign Travel Insurance Program. Additional insurance should be arranged for travel before or after a business related trip at the employee's expense.

Some options include Gateway Plans, HTH Travel Insurance, and Travel Guard*. We recommend that you thoroughly research your options and carefully read policies regarding coverage and exclusions, and strongly advise you to purchase coverage that includes medical evacuation and repatriation.

* The University of Richmond provides website links solely for informational purposes and is not necessarily endorsing any organizations, products or services, nor guaranteeing the validity of value of the information contained therein.


For questions regarding the Chubb health insurance coverage outside of the United States while on official university business, contact Keesha Trim, Director of Risk Management.