Budget Planning

Can I really afford to study abroad? We know this is an important question on the minds of many students and their families. UR is committed to making an international experience attainable for qualified students. We have made detailed costs clear for each program so that you can plan early, and have provided a number of links to scholarships and other resources. Some of these require advance planning and an additional application, but we’re here to help you through it. Our study abroad team can address financial questions during the one-on-one advising with IE staff or you can connect with the staff of the financial aid office.

Here are a few points to keep in mind:

  • Students pay University of Richmond tuition for UR semester and year-long programs and financial aid will be applied to these programs.
  • Each Richmond student approved to study abroad on a UR semester- or year-long program receives a $1,000 travel allowance each semester.
  • Each study abroad program’s brochure page in Gateway Abroad provides the most recent information about costs.
  • Study abroad scholarships are available through the University as well as external sources.

Details about how the finances work are outlined below:

Expand All
  • Tuition

    UR tuition for study abroad covers the cost of tuition, orientation, pre-semester language courses (as applicable), travel and health insurance, other academic fees (such as required class excursions) related to the program abroad, local staff support in most locations, a $1000 travel allowance, and 24/7 emergency contact and support. Additional UR specialized advising, support and programming services particular to study abroad are also provided to students before, during and after their experience.

  • Housing and Meals

    Housing and meal costs vary by location and program; check the program’s brochure page in GatewayAbroad for details.

  • Travel Allowance

    Every full-time undergraduate Richmond student approved to study abroad on a UR semester-or year-long program receives a $1,000 travel allowance for each semester abroad. The travel allowance is provided as a tuition credit (applied 10 days before the start of the program) each semester to committed students.The travel allowance demonstrates the University’s continued commitment to study abroad by making semester study abroad more accessible for all students. Students do not need to submit any paperwork to receive the travel allowance. Students on financial aid from Richmond may contact the financial aid office for information on how this additional allowance will be factored in to existing financial aid packages.

    Full-time undergraduate students with need-based financial aid who have a self-help requirement (e.g., loan, work/study) will receive an additional $500 grant for semester study abroad. For questions about eligibility for this grant, students are advised to consult with the Office of Financial Aid.

  • Financial Aid

    Students studying on a UR program who receive financial aid are eligible to apply their aid for a study abroad semester or year provided they meet application deadlines and eligibility criteria. University funding for study abroad is available for up to two semesters.

    In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must be enrolled full-time while abroad. Full-time enrollment is defined as the equivalent of at least 3.5 UR units per semester abroad for undergraduates. Failure to enroll full-time will jeopardize your financial aid eligibility.

    More information is available at the Financial Aid website for study abroad.

  • Outside Scholarships

    Additional scholarship and financial assistance may be available from departments within the University as well as external sources. More information can be found on our Scholarships page.

  • Insurance While Abroad

    The university provides travel health insurance to students studying abroad outside of their home country. This benefit is provided at no additional cost to all approved students on UR sponsored programs.