Transfer Students

F-1 or J-1 students who are maintaining their immigration status have two ways to transfer their status to the University of Richmond. F-1 students may transfer their status within five months of the completion date of their current or most recent institution. If it is more than five months between the completion date of your current institution and the program start date at Richmond, you are not eligible to transfer your F-1 status within the United States. You must depart the United States and make a new application as an F-1 student. J-1 students must transfer their status before the program end date on their DS-2019 and must not exceed the maximum duration of participation for the exchange visitor category.

Without Leaving the United States

F-1 students may transfer their status without leaving the United States by following these procedures. Newly admitted first-year undergraduate students should email for instructions on receiving their I-20s – the instructions on this page are only for F-1 graduate students transferring their status to Richmond.

  • Submit the I-20 authorization form or DS-2019 Authorization Form, Certification of Finances, and Transfer-in Instructions. Provide a copy of the Transfer-in Instructions to the international student advisor at your current institution.
  • Once the University of Richmond receives your forms, the University will transfer your I-20/DS-2019 to Richmond on the transfer date and issue you a new I-20/ DS-2019.
  • Within 15 days of enrollment at the University, submit your new I-20/DS-2019 form, your I-20/DS-2019 form from your old school, valid passport, F-1/ J-1 visa stamp and I-94 card or passport admission stamp with date, class, and duration of admission if you arrived in the U.S. for the first time after I-94 automation starting 04/30/13 to Krittika Onsanit for photocopying.

By Leaving the United States

  • F-1 students may transfer their status by leaving the United States and following the aforementioned procedures. If your visa stamp from your previous school is still valid, you can use it to enter the United States, along with your new I-20 from the University of Richmond, as long as you have been outside the United States for less than five months. If your F-1 visa stamp is expiring, you will need to use the University of Richmond's I-20 to apply for a new F-1 visa stamp at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. 
  • If you are a J-1 student, you must apply for a new J-1 visa stamp using the new DS-2019 from the University of Richmond. You may only apply for the visa stamp at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country.
  • Keep your previous I-20s/DS-2019s for your records and use your University of Richmond I-20/DS-2019 to enter the United States. At the port of entry, the immigration official will process these forms, thereby effecting your transfer.