Richmond Home

Traveling within the United States

Students interested in exploring the United States can conveniently access airports, train stations, bus stations, and rental car services from the University campus. Plus, thanks to its location in the heart of the East Coast, students have easy access to major U.S. destinations, including Washington, D.C., New York City, Florida, and Atlanta.

Travel with Documentation

If you are planning to travel within the United States, it is essential that you take your passport and visa documents with you. Strict Department of Homeland Security immigration enforcement initiatives require non-U.S. citizens to carry proof of their status. Non-immigrants who are unable to show evidence of lawful immigration status in the U.S. can potentially face expedited removal from the U.S. without a hearing. 

  • F-1 students should carry passports, I-20, printed copies of I-94, and EADs (where applicable)
  • J-1 students should carry passports, DS-2019, and printed copies of I-94
  • Faculty/Staff using temporary visas should carry passports, I-797 approval notices, and printed copies of I-94
  • Permanent residents should carry their green cards

Please note that the Office of International Education does not have copies of I-94 numbers. You can print out a hard copy of your I-94 number from the I-94 website

University-Sponsored Trips and Activities

A number of University programs provide opportunities for students to explore the region beyond campus. Students may participate in an Outdoor Adventure program through Recreation and Wellness or they may find activities and trips that interest them through one of the University's many student organizations. Many students also participate in volunteer programs throughout the community through the Bonner Center for Civic Engagement.

Transportation from Campus

There are a variety of transportation options available to help students explore the city, including the Spider Shuttle, the Downtown Shuttle, Zipcar, Zimride, GRTC Transit System, and Groome Transportation, which provides airport/train station transfers.