J-1 Visa

A J-1 student is a non-U.S. citizen who is enrolled full-time in either a degree or a non-degree prescribed course of study at an accredited educational institution. Learn more about J-1 visitor status from the J-1 visa exchange visitor program website.


Students must obtain employment authorization before accepting employment on or off campus. Learn more about employment procedures.

Academic Training

Students are permitted to participate in academic training programs while enrolled in the University and after completing their studies. The completion of studies date is the program end date on the DS-2019 form.