Richmond Home

Immigration Options

International students with J-1 and F-1 visas may apply to extend their stay, change their statuses, renew their visas, transfer to or from another U.S. institution, or withdraw from the University. 

If an international student wishes to change his or her status, he or she must meet with Krittika Onsanit to discuss the possibilities.

Change of Status

Every international student has a specific immigration status. It is essential that international students on non-immigrant visas maintain their status while in the United States. Learn more about maintaining your immigration status from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

A student may change his or her status from non-immigrant to permanent resident. If you have changed your status, please scan and email a copy of your green card to Krittika Onsanit so that updates can be made in the University's databases. When your status changes, you will no longer be automatically enrolled and billed for the University's student health insurance plan. If you wish to continue your health insurance coverage in the University plan, you may enroll yourself on the health insurance website. If you are receiving financial aid from the University, you should contact the Financial Aid office to check if your change of status will affect your aid package.

International students who have questions about maintaining or changing their status should contact Krittika Onsanit.

Extension of Stay

Your length of stay in the United States is indicated by the duration of status notation (D/S) on your I-94 arrival/departure card or passport stamp with date, class, and duration of admission if you arrived in the U.S. for the first time after I-94 automation starting 04/30/13. As long as you are maintaining your obligations as an international student or scholar and hold a valid I-20 or DS-2019 form and passport, you can remain in the United States until the end of your grace period, which is 60 days after the I-20 program end date for F-1 students and 30 days after the DS-2019 program end date for J-1 students. During this grace period you will be in tourist status, which means you will be unable to work or study. If you wish to remain in the United States beyond this period of time, you must apply for an extension of stay.

Program Extensions for F-1 Students

F-1 students may extend their program for academic or medical reasons. Applications must be made to Krittika Onsanit before the end date on the I-20 form by completing the I-20 Request Form. If you have been approved, you will receive a new I-20 Form with an extended program end date.

Program Extensions for J-1 visa holders

J-1 visa holders who are studying at Richmond as a non-degree student through one of our partner institutions may extend their exchange program at Richmond as long as they have been approved by the Office of International Education and their home institution. If you have been approved, you will receive a new DS-2019 Form with an extended program end date. J-1 visa holders who are studying at Richmond as a degree-seeking student and need additional time to complete their degree should consult their academic department about extending their program, and complete the DS-2019 Request Form for the Office of International Education.

Extension of Stay for Off-Campus Employment

You are eligible to extend your stay in the United States after your program ends for employment that relates to your major or academic program at Richmond. Please follow the Optional Practical Training (F-1) or Academic Training (J-1) application procedures.

Extension of Stay in Another Status

Students who wish to change to a status besides F-1 or J-1 must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before their period of authorized stay expires. Students may remain legally in the U.S. while the application is pending, but must depart the U.S. immediately if the application is denied.

Visa Stamp Renewal

If you have been approved for an extension of stay and plan to travel outside the U.S. after your original program end date, you may have to renew your F-1 or J-1 visa stamp. The U.S. Department of State webpage has more information.

Withdrawing from UR

Exchange students who withdraw from the program before or after classes begin are subject to UR withdrawal policies and procedures. Students may be financially responsible for tuition, room, board, health insurance, and other charges. Please consult with your home institution and the Office of International Education prior to withdrawing to understand the academic, financial, and immigration consequences. Students who withdraw must complete the UR Exchange Program Withdrawal Form.

Degree-seeking students must follow the instructions on this webpage in order to withdraw or apply for readmission.

Questions about visas and immigration?

Contact Krittika Onsanit, director of international student services, to discuss issues related to immigration, or learn more about visas from the U.S. Department of State.