Richmond Home

Health Insurance

Undergraduate degree-seeking students on non-immigrant visas and all visiting students (regardless of their immigration status) studying through one of UR's partnerships are required to purchase the health insurance plan offered by the University. There are no exceptions to this policy. Students may wish to share this information with their parents/legal guardians. 

Americans living abroad, dual citizens, and permanent residents will not be enrolled in the student health insurance plan unless they are visiting students studying at Richmond through one of our partnerships. If you require health insurance coverage and you are not an undergraduate non-immigrant visa holder or visiting student through a UR partnership, go to the Risk Management website to learn more about the student health insurance plan.

For 2019-20, UnitedHealthcare is the underwriter and RCM&D is the plan administrator. 


For the 2019-20 year, the annual health insurance premium will be $2,957 for new students and $3,199 for continuing students.

Spouse and Dependent Children

Proof of health insurance for the spouse and all dependents of non-immigrant student visa holders must be provided to Krittika Onsanit before their arrival in the U.S.

Consequences of Not Getting Health Insurance

F-1 and J-1 students who do not purchase health insurance will not be permitted to register for classes. F-1 and J-1 students who fail to register for classes will be in violation of their student status.

Using your Health Insurance Plan

When you see a doctor or other medical provider, you will need to take your insurance card, which provides contact information for the insurance company and your insurance policy number. The medical provider will use this information to bill your insurance plan.  Once the insurance company gets a bill from a medical provider, they will pay their portion of the bill (per plan benefits) and then will send you a statement showing how much they paid and (if applicable) how much your cost is.  The medical provider will then send you a bill for your portion of the cost.

Keep in mind that some plan benefits require preauthorization from the insurance company before they will be covered.  If you are not sure if something is covered or have medical billing questions or issues, contact First Student Customer Service.

Filing a Medical Claim for Reimbursement

If you have already received and paid for treatment, you can submit a claim to the insurance company requesting reimbursement.  The insurance company will review the claim and receipts and pay according to the plan’s benefits, including applying treatment costs to the policy deductible.

You should mail one claim for each illness or injury. If additional information is required, the claims administrator will mail you a questionnaire; please answer all questions completely and mail the questionnaire back to the health insurance company as soon as possible so your claim can be processed.

For more information, visit the First Student website.