Richmond Home

Medicine and Disabilities Abroad

Traveling Abroad with Medications

Contact the program or university abroad to find out if any medical information from you is required prior to or upon your arrival. If you have a medical condition, you should consider whether you want to notify the host program of that condition, as it may be useful information in a medical emergency.

Not all medications are legal or available in other countries. If you need to take medication with you, it is important to know if your medications are legal in the country(ies) where you will study and perhaps travel to during your stay abroad. Resources for inquiries regarding the legality of medication may include your physician, the program abroad, or the consulate of the country(ies) where you will be studying. Students may also contact AXA Assistance USA for advice.

In some cases, it may be legal to bring certain medicines but not possible to purchase additional medication or renew the prescription in-country. Students who need a semester's supply of medication may need to request a vacation override from their insurance company. The Center for Disease Control has a webpage dedicated to information about traveling abroad with medication.

Students with Disabilities

The University of Richmond is committed to assisting students with physical and learning disabilities so that they are able to study abroad. The University will make every effort to develop reasonable accommodations in cooperation with the host institution so that students with learning or physical disabilities may achieve the intended goals of the study abroad experience.

For more information and resources about traveling abroad with disabilities, please visit Mobility International USA's website.

The University of Richmond prohibits discrimination and harassment against applicants, students, faculty or staff on the basis of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, status as a veteran or any classification protected by local, state or federal law.