Spouse and Children


Spouses and children under the age of 21 may accompany a J-1 exchange visitor to the United States or join the exchange visitor at a later date with J-2 visa status.

To obtain J-2 status, follow these procedures:

  1. To receive a DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status from Krittika Onsanit in the Office of International Education, the J-1 exchange visitor must demonstrate sufficient income to support dependents ($5,000 for a spouse and $5,000 per child) and verify their enrollment in a health insurance plan that meets the U.S. Department of State's minimum benefit levels. Insurance is available through the University's health insurance plan.
  2. Visit the U.S. Department of State website for instructions on applying for the J-2 visa.
  3. For instructions on arriving at a U.S. port of entry, read the Arrival Procedures webpage.


J-2 dependents of legal working age are allowed to work if they have the proper authorization and are not working to support the principal J-1 visa holder. The J-2 visa holder should consult with Krittika Onsanit in the Office of International Education for current regulations and to complete the necessary documentation. No work can be commenced until the J-2 dependent receives employment authorization.

Reporting & Travel

Within 10 days of arrival to the U.S., the residential address and, if applicable, email address of each J-2 must be reported along with any change to these addresses.

The J-2’s stay in this country is only valid while the J-1 visa holder maintains legal status. If it is necessary for the J-2 to travel outside of the United States without the J-1, s/he will need a valid passport, visa, DS-2019, and current travel signature to re-enter the United States after a temporary visit abroad. For more information, please contact Krittika Onsanit.

Early departures of J-2s from the United States prior to the J-1’s departure date without the intention of returning to accompany the J-1 for the remainder of his or her program must be reported to Krittika Onsanit.