Once there is confirmation that the international scholar will be coming to the University of Richmond, Krittika Onsanit, Director of International Student and Scholar Services, will advise the scholar on the appropriate visa category to use and issue immigration documents if necessary for the scholar (and his or her family, if applicable) to apply for J-1/J-2 exchange visitor visas to the United States. If a category other than the J exchange visitor visa is required, advice will be given on how to obtain the visa. In some cases, the University may need to use the services of an external immigration law firm for immigration advice and paperwork.

Expand All
  • Short-Term Activities

    Scholars conducting short-term activities such as lectures, demonstrations, performances, or conferences for 9 days or fewer at UR may be eligible to apply for a B tourist for business visa.

    1. Inquire with the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy in home country about the procedure.
    2. If necessary, obtain a letter of invitation from the University of Richmond host academic department stating the purpose of the trip, intent to depart the United States, and arrangements made to cover the cost of the trip.

    International scholars who are non-resident aliens may accept an honorarium payment and associated incidental expenses for academic activities lasting no longer than 9 days at any single institution if payment is made for services conducted for the benefit of that institution and if the non-resident alien has not accepted such payment or expenses from more than 5 institutions or organizations in the previous 6-month period. Visit the Controller’s ofice for more information.

  • Visiting Appointments

    Scholars who will be teaching, performing, conducting research, or doing other academic activities on visiting appointments may be eligible to apply for a J-1 visa for exchange visitors. The J-1 exchange visitor categories most commonly used for professors and researchers require an appointment of at least 3 weeks and no longer than 5 years except for the short-term scholar category, which is not subject to the 3 week minimum but has a maximum stay of 6 months.

    1. UR hiring department should submit documentation from Departmental Checklist for Hiring Visiting International Scholars
    2. Dependents (spouse and children) can apply for J-2 visas (or apply for a tourist visa for a short visit).
    3. Apply for a Social Security card upon arrival.