Parents/Guardian's Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All
  • Where can I find more information about a specific study abroad program?
    Each of the University of Richmond’s study abroad programs has its own brochure page in GatewayAbroad, where you read about academics, housing, eligibility requirements, dates, and costs specific to a program.
  • Is there an application fee?
    Yes. All UR semester- and year-long study abroad programs have a $200 application fee. However, if students submit all required items by the posted deadlines, then the fee is waived. Please see our UR Study Abroad Application Fee Policy for more detailed information.
  • What is the most important aspect of the study abroad application that my student should focus on if s/he wants to be admitted to his/her first or second choice program?
    All components of the study abroad application are considered carefully, including the student’s cumulative GPA, GPA in his/her major field (if applicable), quality of the motivation essay, quality of the faculty recommendations, and appropriate language preparation (if applicable). In addition, any past or pending disciplinary or academic infractions are taken into account. Academic preparation and motivation as well as suitability for the student’s academic goals for study abroad carry far more weight than other kinds of motivations, such as wanting to be with friends abroad, being in a particular city or on a particular program, weather, or sightseeing opportunities.
  • Is my student guaranteed a study abroad placement and is s/he guaranteed admission to his/her first choice program?

    No. Study abroad is a privilege for which students must carefully prepare and apply. No student is guaranteed a study abroad placement, nor is any student guaranteed placement on any specific program in any specific semester.

    Applying for study abroad has a lot of similarities to applying to college in that admission is not guaranteed even for applicants who meet minimum or average qualifications and many criteria are taken into consideration as part of the decision making process. Past academic performance plays a large role, as does the quality of how well the student expresses his/her motivation for study abroad at a particular partner university or program.

    Each semester the applicant pool is different and so admission to each program might be more or less competitive in an individual semester. Depending on the strength of the applicant pool, students who meet the minimum qualifications, or even exceed them, may not be able to be placed on a particular program. However, each semester, many qualified applicants are able to be approved to study abroad at a partner university of their choice.

    Students on or who have been on conduct or housing probation may be denied the opportunity to go abroad, depending on the offense and recommendation of the respective Dean’s office, as well as the policy of the program or institution abroad.

  • What happens if my student is not accepted to his/her first or second choice program?
    Students who meet the minimum criteria to study abroad will be personally contacted by an OIE staff member to discuss possible alternate options. This may require the student to be flexible in either where s/he goes abroad geographically or when s/he goes abroad (fall vs. spring semester). OIE staff will discuss programs with the student that will meet his/her academic goals and give the student time to consider these options with their academic advisor and family before making a selection. Students who have not been accepted because they do not meet the minimum criteria to go abroad may be advised to reapply in a future semester.
  • Can my student go on a study abroad program that is not affiliated with Richmond?

    It is possible but extremely uncommon for students to be approved to take part in non-Richmond semester abroad programs. It is much easier for students to be approved to take part in non-Richmond summer abroad programs. The procedures for non-Richmond study abroad are explained here.

    Please note that it is not possible to withdraw from Richmond, take part in a non-Richmond semester abroad program, and then transfer credit back to Richmond from that program.

    Also, Richmond students may not study at Richmond exchange or affiliate programs and transfer credit back to the University without having been accepted into the program through the Office of International Education.

  • What information is provided to me once my student is approved to go abroad?

    If your student has signed the FERPA release and has given the Office of International Education (OIE) permission to share general study abroad information, the OIE will send an email to you with basic information about semester study abroad as per the email address provided by the student in his/her study abroad application. If no email address is provided, the OIE will mail a letter to the student’s home address.

    Beyond this general email/letter, no information about study abroad is sent directly to the parent(s)/guardian(s). Contact is made only if there is a critical situation regarding the health and safety of the student. FERPA is a law that all employees at Richmond must follow.

    If a parent/guardian contacts the OIE by phone or email, OIE staff may answer general questions about the program abroad, but cannot discuss specific academic or other issues pertaining to a particular student. The only exception is if the student has waived their FERPA rights by signing the FERPA release described above.

    Since students are over 18, we expect them to be responsible for sharing information about their study abroad program with their parent(s)/guardian(s). We suggest you ask your student to share this information and coach them on asking questions of OIE staff on their own behalf when they are confused, have doubts or any other problem. Please note that the majority of the information and instructions are provided to your student in the “Learning Content” section of his/her online study abroad application on GatewayAbroad, and/or via emails sent from members of the OIE study abroad team. Therefore, we recommend that you sit down with your student and have him/her sign into GatewayAbroad to review this information together.

    Once accepted, your student will receive information from the host program abroad in various forms at various times. Some universities send a packet of information, some have this information on their web page while others have an intranet system that requires a user name and password, which is sent to the student once he/she has been officially accepted to the program. It is important that students read everything carefully and adhere to all deadlines.

    The OIE also provides all approved students with a “Vital Documents” packet containing a "Study Abroad Information for Your Family" sheet, which includes contact information to the OIE, program/institution abroad, U.S. consulate abroad, the insurance company, as well as additional useful information and links. We encourage all students to give their informational sheets to their parents/guardians.

  • When will I be contacted by the Office of International Education about my student’s study abroad program?
    While we respond to emails and calls from parents/guardians as per the above, we do not initiate contact unless there is a critical health or safety incident abroad. OIE staff are accessible to assist after-hours in life-threatening emergencies - Campus Police will contact OIE staff as required. Additionally, staff in the international offices at our partner universities abroad are also available to assist students when they have a problem or question. Although FERPA does not pertain to universities abroad, it is highly unusual and often not culturally acceptable for parents/guardians to call and intervene on a student’s behalf as the student is considered to be a legal adult.
  • How much will it cost?

    Logistics vary by study abroad program. Each UR program has its own brochure page with cost and date information, as well as information about academics, housing, and eligibility requirements. The travel allowance amount for each program can be found here as well.

    Note that cost estimates on the study abroad program page do not include the student’s personal recreational travel and entertainment. Recreational travel is the single greatest discretionary expense for most study abroad participants.

    In most cases, Richmond programs charge Richmond tuition, but not housing and food, for the semester abroad. Financial aid applies. Housing fees are usually paid directly to the institution or landlord abroad. Most universities abroad do not have meal plans, so students "pay as they go" in university dining facilities or they prepare their own meals in shared kitchens in dormitories or apartments. Cost estimates for each UR semester abroad program can be found on that program’s brochure page.

    In addition, financial benefits are provided to all students on UR semester or year abroad programs through reimbursements and allowances, and Richmond offers several study abroad scholarships. Please note that students must submit their eligible reimbursement requests to the Office of International Education within 60 days of the date on the receipts to ensure our office has time to meet the University’s processing guidelines.

  • Why do I pay UR tuition for the semester my student will be abroad?
    The policy of charging home tuition for study abroad is standard among the University of Richmond’s peer universities around the U.S. Like other highly selective institutions, Richmond carefully chooses and monitors its study abroad programs, linking only with top tier institutions and programs abroad. Richmond charges home tuition because students on study abroad continue to earn credit towards a Richmond degree. Students going abroad remain Richmond students and thus retain many of the services that they would normally receive on campus (such as IT, counseling, advising, online library and research services, etc.) as well as additional specialized services particular to study abroad. All Richmond financial aid is transferable to Richmond semester or year abroad programs.
  • What if I use the TuitionPay installment plan to pay my student’s tuition at Richmond?
    If your family uses the installment plan through TuitionPay (via Sallie Mae) to pay Richmond tuition and fees, contact TuitionPay (1-877-279-6092) to request an adjustment for the semester or year you are abroad. Otherwise, TuitionPay has no way of knowing that you do not owe the usual fees to UR for that semester/year. You should contact TuitionPay after you have looked at the cost section of the website for your program and understand what fees you will owe to UR for the semester(s) you will be abroad and what will be paid directly overseas.
  • Does financial aid apply?
    Yes. The same types of financial assistance for which students may be considered during enrollment at Richmond also are available for a UR study abroad program during the fall and/or spring terms. Additional scholarships also are available. Check with the financial aid office for more information on applying financial aid to study abroad.
  • What are the unbilled and discretionary costs?
    Students should anticipate pre-departure costs for luggage, ID photos, vaccines (when required), and travel items such as travel alarm clocks, money pouches, converters, etc.

    While abroad, most program participants spend $2,500 to $4,000 per semester above and beyond living costs. These expenses include entertainment, souvenirs, and cultural events, but the biggest single category of discretionary expense is recreational travel beyond the student’s host city. Students considering study abroad should be encouraged to start saving early if they plan to travel extensively while abroad. Expenses can be reduced by traveling to nearby cities as well as visiting local sites. We suggest students not travel too much outside of their host city or else they will not be able to develop relationships with local students and persons and will not really know the city or town where they are spending the semester.

  • How do I send money to my student while s/he is abroad?

    Most students use an ATM card to withdraw cash in the local currency while abroad. See the “Money Matters While Abroad” section of the UR Study Abroad Handbook for more details. There is often a fee charged by both the U.S. bank and the foreign bank for using a U.S. ATM card to withdraw cash abroad. Students should check with their individual US banks to find out what these fees will be and if there is any way to have them reduced or waived.

    It is recommended that when students withdraw cash from an ATM that they withdraw the maximum daily amount and then carry around a small portion of it, keeping the rest safely hidden and locked in their rooms. This will help keep withdrawal fees to a minimum.

    Students should be aware that credit cards may work differently abroad than in the United States. This article and this article contain very useful information about this. As with ATM cards, U.S. banks often charge foreign transaction fees for credit card purchases at foreign vendors.

    Some students may choose to open a local bank account in order to get a regional debit card and avoid fees from the U.S. bank. If this option is taken, it should be done soon after arrival, as it can take a couple of weeks to open the account, receive the details such as the PIN number and debit card, and set up online banking. Depending on the bank and country, this option may only be practical for students who will be abroad for the entire academic year.

    Tip from a former UR study abroad student:TravelEx has a debit/ATM card that you can get and parents can load the card with money from the U.S. It’s really handy, you can use it for an ATM and debit card because it’s a Pin & Chip Card. The withdrawal fees are way lower than if you use an ATM card from the States and it’s really handy!”
  • Does Richmond reimburse for any study abroad-related expenses
  • Are there a minimum or maximum number of Richmond units in which my student must be enrolled abroad?

    While abroad, students must remain enrolled in a minimum equivalent of 3.5 Richmond units. Transfer credit policies and procedures can be found on the Registrar’s website. Robins School of Business students have additional study abroad requirements. Specific information about the credit and grade conversion can be found on the UR program abroad webpage.

    If your student does not enroll in a minimum equivalent of 3.5 units while abroad, she may lose all of the privileges carried with full-time student status, including financial aid and possibly health insurance. It is your student’s responsibility to discuss courses abroad with her Richmond academic advisor and determine how these credits will transfer back so that she can graduate as planned.

    Students who intend to register for more than 5.5 units will need to submit a Registration Special Approval form signed by their dean (Dean Boehman or Dean Landphair for Arts and Sciences students, Dean Nicholson for Business students, or Dean Price for Jepson students) or have the dean email the approval directly to This form is available from the Registrar’s Office.
  • Can my student take English courses at a study abroad program located in a non-English-speaking country?
    Certainly! In fact, the vast majority of our programs have English as the language of instruction. The list of these programs is available here. Because they do not live in the classroom and must interact daily with the local community, students studying in non-Anglophone countries are required to take a course in the local language (if available), even if this course is not for credit. Extra tuition fees for a language course on UR semester abroad program are paid for by the Office of International Education.
  • What kind of assistance is provided to study abroad students with learning or physical disabilities?
    The University of Richmond will provide reasonable assistance in cooperation with the institution abroad so that students with learning or physical disabilities may achieve the intended goals of the study abroad experience. Students requesting assistance are required to file an “application for accommodation” with the Disability Services Office at Richmond.
  • Will the grades my student earned abroad appear on his/her Richmond transcript?
    Although courses must be taken for a grade in order to receive transfer credit, grades earned abroad will not appear on the student’s UR transcript. The UR transcript will show the host institution’s name, course titles, and number of units transferred from abroad.
  • Will Richmond provide my student with an official copy of his/her abroad transcript?

    University of Richmond cannot issue official transcripts from other institutions, nor can we request them on a student’s behalf. The OIE receives one official abroad transcript for each study abroad student, which is then kept by the Registrar for the student’s permanent UR academic record.

    To request the official transcript from abroad, the student will need to contact that university directly. The transcript request procedures are usually available on the abroad university’s website. Some institutions charge a fee for each transcript and/or may charge for shipping. Some may also limit the number of transcripts they will issue at one time.

    We recommend that students keep a record of the student ID number assigned to them by their abroad institution (if applicable). Often that number is required when requesting official transcripts from the abroad institution.
  • Does the Office of International Education provide international health insurance for my student?

    Yes. We automatically enroll all students in the ACE Travel Assistance (AXA) insurance plan. The cost of the ACE Travel Assistance (AXA) health and travel insurance is paid by the University. Non-immigrant international students are only excluded from enrollment in the ACE Travel Assistance (AXA) plan if they are studying abroad in their home country. Non-immigrant international students’ health insurance coverage through Trawick International will also continue while they’re abroad.

  • Should I continue my student’s home (including U.S.) health insurance coverage while he/she is abroad?
    Yes, you should continue home country health insurance coverage for your student. It might be difficult to re-enroll in that plan upon return from study abroad. Also, it is possible that a major illness/injury requiring continuing treatment after the study abroad program has ended could not only exceed the home country benefit through ACE (the UR abroad insurance), but your student could potentially be left without any health coverage.
  • What if my student needs to take prescription medication while abroad?
    Plan early and be aware that many drugs available in the U.S. may not be available abroad. Read more about prescription medication while abroad.
  • Does the health and travel insurance policy that the University provides to students studying on UR semester abroad programs meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)?
    This plan is not comprehensive medical insurance and is not subject to ACA requirements. The plan offered by Richmond is designed to meet specific and different health and safety insurance and service needs of our students when traveling outside of the US for study abroad programs. This should not be construed as or substituted for comprehensive health insurance coverage.
  • Is it safe to travel abroad?

    Discuss health and safety issues with your student, including matters related to insurance, emergency preparedness, and living in the host country. Your student will be provided with extensive information about these topics after acceptance to study abroad. Encourage your student to share this information with you.

    Obtain a passport or renew yours if it will expire within the next year in case you should need to go overseas to visit your student in the event of emergency. Keep in mind that passport-processing time is currently six to eight weeks for new passports, so apply early.

    Keep in touch with your student while abroad, but understand that he or she may not be able to communicate with you as often as when on campus. Encourage your student to stay “in the moment” while abroad so they do not miss out on important opportunities abroad in lieu of spending all their time communicating with family and friends back home.

    Arrange in advance for how your student will contact you at the earliest possible moment in the event that a crisis should occur abroad in a location where your student is likely to be. This may be in your student’s host country, or in a nearby country or region, since many students do travel recreationally on short notice while studying abroad.

    Richmond has a crisis management plan as well as insurance that can provide assistance in unusual circumstances––for example, evacuation to a safe location––should this become necessary. However, this has never been necessary in the 20+ years that Richmond has been providing international education.

  • What is the Agreement & Release form?
    The Agreement and Release form is an electronic signature document that establishes legal rights and responsibilities associated with Richmond-affiliated international experiences. All students who are 18 years old or older are required to read and electronically sign the Agreement and Release form prior to going abroad. A sample copy of this form can be obtained by clicking here.
  • Will my student require tuberculosis (TB) testing after being abroad?

    If your student spends more than four weeks in a country with a high incidence of tuberculosis (TB), we strongly recommend s/he get tested for TB approximately 8-12 weeks after returning from abroad. All countries except the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and those in Western Europe are considered high risk. For more information, please visit

    Testing may be done at the Student Health Center (during the regular academic year), a local Health Department or your physician’s office.

    Your student should contact the Student Health Center at or 804-289-8700 (UR Dial-A-Nurse) to schedule an appointment for testing, to report that s/he has been tested, or for any questions.
  • What about housing abroad?
    Another way in which Richmond students are immersed in the cultures of the countries where they study is that in most cases students reside in the same kinds of housing as local students. It is not uncommon for males and females to reside in the same residence hall or apartment (flat). Also, students may be placed with older, more mature students who are studying at the undergraduate, master’s degree, or Ph.D. level.

    Accommodations abroad will be different from the experience of living in a Richmond residence hall. For many students, the new experience of living more independently will be a time of growth and greater responsibility, which can be both rewarding and challenging.

    Information about housing options available for each Richmond semester or year abroad program is provided on the program brochure page for that program.

    Residences abroad will be different than at Richmond, particularly with regard to convenience or amenities. Housing abroad, is often in older buildings, and living spaces may be smaller and more sparsely furnished than student rooms at UR. Many student residence halls abroad include kitchen facilities and students are expected to cook their own meals. A meal plan is almost never available, although pay-as-you-go cafeterias are often available at student-friendly prices.

    Although there are some exceptions, universities abroad rarely have a campus environment like one is accustomed to in the U.S., so students should not expect to live "on campus." Residence halls, apartment buildings, and home stays will be located throughout the host city and a commute (walking or public transportation) will likely be required to reach the academic buildings or the residences of other students. Residence halls and apartment buildings may not have card or key security at the front door, and there may not be 24-hour security provided at a front desk, even for residences located in urban areas. Repairs (except for emergencies) may take longer than what students are used to on Richmond’s campus. Student housing, regardless of whether it is a residence hall, apartment, or home stay, may not be directly adjacent to public transportation, so students may need to walk 10 minutes or more to reach their residence after getting off the metro/bus/tram.

    Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers may not be standard amenities; students who wish to purchase these items abroad can be reimbursed for the cost by the Office of International Education.

    Students should be aware of all of these differences when choosing a study abroad program and when selecting their accommodations. Advising and information is available to help students choose the most suitable residence. If a student has a particular concern about housing on a particular program abroad, they should bring it to the attention of their Richmond study abroad advisor immediately.

  • Will my student need to obtain a student visa prior to departure?
    Yes, in some cases—depending on the student’s citizenship—a student visa will be required. In most cases, the student will need to apply for the visa directly either in person or via mail prior to departure. More information is available on the program’s brochure page in GatewayAbroad.
  • Is there a group flight?
    Most Richmond semester and year abroad programs do not offer group flights; however, it is not uncommon for students going on the same program to coordinate their travel plans so that they can fly together.
  • Will my student be met at the airport upon arrival in his/her host country?
    In some cases, students will not be met at the airport and will need to take a taxi or public transportation to the place where they will be living. Some universities abroad do arrange for airport pick-up during specific dates and times; however, this is not always the case.
  • What happens if a program is cancelled?
    If the U.S. Department of State advises U.S. citizens to leave the host country, we will cancel the relevant program and recall students to the U.S. In such an instance, we will immediately notify students and parents, relying on the contact information provided by your student on the Emergency Contact Form. To date, Richmond has not had to recall students from abroad.
  • Is there a penalty if my student withdraws from a program abroad?
    If the student voluntarily withdraws from the study abroad program, there is a penalty. Please see the withdrawal policy for details.

    If the student purchases the Dewar Tuition Insurance Plan prior to study abroad and withdraws from the study abroad program early due to an illness or injury, the student may be eligible for a full or partial tuition refund. The health costs may be covered through the FrontierMEDEX insurance policy if the student notifies the insurance company, files a claim and has an injury/illness that is not listed in the exclusions section of the policy.
  • What is the best way to communicate with my student while s/he is abroad?
    Most parents and students communicate in two primary ways: Skype and telephone. Skype enables free communication between computers as long as both users have an active Skype account and Skype also can be used to call mobile and land lines abroad. Students also use WhatsApp and Google Talk and other web-based programs to communicate.

    Using telephones abroad can be very expensive, especially if one takes a Blackberry, iPhone, or other U.S. mobile device abroad. The majority of Richmond students purchase a mobile phone while abroad because texting and incoming calls are less expensive in many other countries. However, some students and parents may prefer to rent an overseas mobile phone from the host university or program abroad (not available in all locations), or purchase a mobile phone prior to departure using a company like Piccell Wireless.

    Students will have access to Internet at the university or program abroad. In some cases, but not all, Internet access may be available in the housing abroad. There may be an additional fee for this service or the student may have to set up wireless services at his or her expense.

    In addition to email, your student may wish to start a blog to keep family and friends informed about their transformative experiences from abroad.

    More information about communication can be found on the SAFETI website.

  • How can I send packages and letters to my student abroad?

    Unless it is an emergency, we generally advise against shipping items abroad. It is expensive and import taxes on packages sent from the U.S. to the student overseas can be VERY high. (For example, one mother sent packages to Europe with shipping fees of $50; the import tax, which the student had to pay, was $112). Your student should talk to someone in the host country to learn how import tax rates are calculated.

    More information on this topic is located in the “Keeping in Touch” section of the Study Abroad Handbook.
  • What about registration for the semester my student returns to Richmond from study abroad?
    Information about registration at Richmond can be found on the Registrar’s web page. Before students go abroad, they are given the option to sign a proxy release form, which is intended to help students register for classes at Richmond for the term they return to campus. This form allows students to indicate their permission for the Registrar’s Office to discuss their pre-registration for the following term with their parents/guardians as indicated or allow a parent/guardian to request an official transcript on the student’s behalf while the student is abroad.
  • Where can I find information about post-study abroad housing at Richmond?
    Please visit the UR Housing Office’s study abroad website for instructions on paying your student’s UR housing deposit, how on-campus housing works for returned study abroad students, what happens if your student ends up on a waiting list, and other important information. Please note that housing on campus is not guaranteed for fall semester study abroad students who are returning to campus in the spring.
  • What should I know about "reverse culture shock"?

    While abroad, your student may have experienced "culture shock.” This well-studied phenomenon refers to the loss of emotional equilibrium suffered when one leaves a familiar environment, especially when moving between countries or cultures. Now, as your student returns home, “reverse culture shock” can occur and can be, for some students, a more difficult transition.

    Although the symptoms of reverse culture shock are similar to those of initial culture shock, they are often unexpected. The symptoms can vary in severity and may include minor illnesses, depression, withdrawal, lethargy, and excessive longing to go abroad again. Your student may be concerned about the pressures of returning to the University of Richmond, sorting out transfer credits, adjusting to the next academic year, and/or planning for life beyond graduation.

    It is not uncommon for returning students to be surprised that life at Richmond has continued without them and to find that they are out of touch with happenings and people on campus. In addition your student may be eager to talk about his/her experiences abroad, but his/her friends who did not study abroad may not be as eager to listen and may not understand where your student has been – both in a physical and psychological sense. These are all normal reactions and part of the re-entry process.

    In order to help returning students with re-entry or reverse culture shock, our office offers various events and opportunities. One of our first events of the year is a re-entry event where returnees are invited to come and talk, laugh, and reflect about their time abroad. We ask returning students to participate in the annual study abroad fair and to be our “expert” advisors at pre-departure orientations.

    Returned study abroad students are encouraged to join our Ambassador Club, a buddy system that pairs them with new international students, and to participate in international events and organizations on campus. We hope they will also see that international learning can be a permanent and evolving part of their lives.

    As parents, you can help by continuing to offer patience, love and support as you did throughout your student’s time abroad. You might also wish to consult the following parent’s re-entry guide, which was designed by the School for International Training, which can be found online at We feel the SIT handbook is a good resource from which parents of students returning from any study abroad program can benefit.

    In the end, most students readjust quite well with time. Please know that our office, as well as Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), are available to assist your student with the transition back to campus and to the United States. Thank you again for your encouragement and support of study abroad and international education.
  • What do other parents have to say about the value of study abroad?

    "I knew from the beginning of our daughter’s time at UR that she would be seeking a study abroad opportunity. I had no idea what a truly enriching experience she would have, and how all of us as a family would get to see life a little differently because of it.

    Not only did she really dive into Argentinean culture, but over the semester in the house where she stayed, Kristy was blessed to live with women from all over South America, gaining perspective and personal insight into life far beyond the classroom. She took in real life in so many ways: helping build houses in the slums, fixing meals with housemates, busing everywhere, being part of a local church, etc.

    Through the ExSpanish program and flexible design of UR’s international programs, Kristy was able to travel and tour many wonderful areas of the country, meeting other international students and making memories of a lifetime. Imagine having lunch in Buenos Aires, Argentina with a new Japanese friend while speaking Spanish! Or hiking Patagonia glaciers with friends from France and the Czech Republic. We watched from afar as she navigated all over — and the world became just a little smaller, even for our 7-year-old son!

    It was a treat to be able to visit and get a small taste of this incredible experience. There is nothing like being there to really get a sense of a culture, and I highly recommend it to other parents."

    — Mother of Kristen S. (Universidad Torcuato di Tella, Argentina)

    “Austen had a great experience in Sweden. He worked pretty hard in his classes, met friends from other cultures, got to know and appreciate the Swedish culture, learned a bit of the language and he was forced to live a whole different way than he does at UR.

    We send him back to Richmond a more mature individual and better for this unique experience.”

    — Mother of Austen K. (Uppsala University, Sweden)